- 1kg shin or gravy beef, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 40g butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups stout beer
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Grease four 1 1/2-cup capacity ovenproof dishes. Toss beef in flour to coat. Heat butter and oil in a frying pan over high heat. Cook beef, in 4 batches, for 3 minutes or until browned, adding more butter and oil as required. Transfer to a plate.
Add onion, garlic and mushroom to pan. Cook over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add stout and thyme. Return beef and any juices to pan. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes or until gravy thickens. Spoon into dishes. Allow to cool.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Spray one piece of pastry with oil. Top with another pastry sheet and spray with oil. Repeat to form 4 layers. Cut two 21cm rounds from pastry sheets. Pinch centre of rounds and twist to form small topknots. Drape pastry over dishes to cover filling. Spray tops with oil. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Repeat with remaining pastry, oil and sesame seeds.
4. Place pies on a baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is piping hot. Serve.
Thanks to Taste.com