Beer Braised Cabbage
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 head green or white cabbage, shredded (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup Creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon Steen’s pure cane syrup
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark full-flavored beer (recommended: Abita "Turbo Dog")
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 10 minutes. Add the onions, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the cabbage, mustard, and cane syrup and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the beer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cream, stir well, and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
Yield 6 servings.
Thanks to Emeril