Makes 1 loaf.
- 2½ cups flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 9½ ounces pale ale beer
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, finely sliced (green part only)
- 10 ounces jalapenos, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter to coat bread
To mix dough: Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add beer. Mix well. Add cheese, onion and jalapenos. (Note: Batter will be stiff.)
To bake bread: Transfer batter to prepared pan, spreading evenly. Brush top of bread with melted butter. Bake for 45 minutes or until bread is light brown. Remove from oven. Cool.
To serve bread: Cut bread into ¼-inch-thick slices. Put bread slices in broiler. Broil for 1 minute or until browned.
Asiago Cheese Dip
Makes 3 cups.
- 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted in hot water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup shredded Asiago cheese, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- ¼ cup mushrooms, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
To prepare dip: In food processor, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, cheese, onions and mushrooms. Blend well at low speed. Add tomatoes. Mix slowly by hand for 1 minute.
To heat and serve: When ready to serve, heat through in microwave oven. Remove from microwave. Sprinkle with Asiago cheese. Place in broiler. Heat until cheese browns.
Thanks to Lynda at the St. Paul Pioneer Press