Brown Ale Beer Shoo Fly Pie
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup brown ale beer (porter beer may be substituted)
- 1 cup mild molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 (9-inch) ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust (or frozen 9-inch pie shell, thawed)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In bowl of a food processor, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Pulse to mix. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Remove 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture and set aside.
In large bowl, beat egg until well blended. Add beer and molasses; stir until just combined. In small cup, dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Stir into molasses mixture; add crumb mixture from food processor bowl. Stir mixture until well blended.
Pour mixture into pie shell. Top with reserved 1/2 cup crumb mixture. Bake in oven 35 minutes, or until filling is puffed and just set, and crumb mixture is lightly golden. Cool completely.
Nutrition Information, Per Serving: 410 calories; 12 g fat; 4.5 g saturated fat; 73 g carbohydrate
– National Beer Wholesaler’s Association and NWHerald.com